Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ford Explorer 2011: Expert and User Review

Expert Review for Ford Explorer 2011

The all-new Ford Explorer 2011 shares it underpinnings with the Ford Flex and Taurus and the Lincoln MKS and MKT. (This platform has its roots in the first-gen Volvo S80, so it's not exactly a spring chicken.) At 197.1 inches, the Explorer is 3.7 inches longer than the old vehicle and is 5.2 inches wider, at 78.9 inches. It's also 159 pounds lighter than the V-8 Eddie Bauer Explorer we tested in 2006. Mind you, it's still a porker, at 4900 pounds, or 212 pounds more than a Honda Pilot Touring 4WD. The bigger exterior translates to more head and shoulder room in the front two rows, as well as 21 cubic feet of luggage space behind the third row, up from 14. But the old vehicle had 84 cubic feet of cargo capacity behind the front seats compared with the new one's 81.

Unlike previous Explorers, which could be optioned with a V-8 in place of a base V-6 — an engine nearly as old as the city of Cologne, Germany, where it was built — the new Explorer will offer V-6 and four-cylinder engines. The new 3.5-liter V-6 makes 290 horsepower and 255 pound-feet of torque, down from the 4.6-liter V-8's 292 ponies and 315 pound-feet. Ford will introduce an optional 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder in 2011, producing an estimated 237 horsepower and 250 pound-feet, up from the old V-6's ratings of 210 and 254, respectively. All models get a standard six-speed automatic transmission, whereas the previous V-6 had a five-speed. Fully equipped, the new Explorer can tow 5000 pounds, down from the 7115-pound rating of the 2010 V-8 model. Towing capacity for the four-cylinder is 2000 pounds, enough to haul a Jet Ski or a snowmobile but not much more.

Base Explorers are now front-wheel drive, a dramatic shift away from the old rear-drive layout. The optional $2000 all-wheel-drive system is biased toward the front wheels in steady-state driving, but Ford says that the system can transfer up to 90 percent of available torque to the rear wheels when needed. With hill-descent control and "terrain management," the AWD setup is similar to the system in Land Rovers, offering four driver-selectable modes: normal, mud/ruts, sand, and snow.

The Explorer has a control-arm suspension at the front and a multilink layout at the rear. Compared with its platform-mate the Flex, however, the Explorer gets a number of changes for increased durability. Up front, there's a new cradle for the suspension and engine, along with new control arms, knuckles, struts, and wheel bearings. At the back, there's a new upright and the driveshafts are beefier. Electric power steering replaces a hydraulic rack.

Understandably, Ford is sensitive to Explorer safety. Thus, the new vehicle has a flotilla of airbags and stability-control programs. Ford crows about its available second-row inflatable seatbelts ($195) that spread impact forces more evenly across the body than a conventional belt does, which is especially beneficial to kids and "mature" (a.k.a. old) people. And Curve Control, which has the ability to project the vehicle's path and apply the brakes before it starts to slide off the road, is essentially a more sophisticated form of stability control.

User Review for Ford Explorer 2011

Pros:
The vehicle feels luxurious and drives nice. The first time I took it on the highway I was in love. It's a smooth driving SUV with limited street noise. I could see driving this car anywhere under any conditions. Everytime I get into the car I feel like I am getting into a Lincoln or a Cadillac. There is plenty of room in the driver seat even for a big guy like me. The new body style is a real eye pleaser and I get compliments on the car eveywhere I go.

Cons:
I was a little shocked at the $42,000 sticker price for the XLT and I am not getting anywhere near the gas mileage that I see in some of the other reviews. I have owned the car about 6 weeks now and have been averaging 12 MPG around town. The sticker says bewteen 13 and 17. I find the automatic transmission is a little clunky but that could be because I am used to the CVT in my Mercury Montego. Not much leg room in the 2nd row. My 13 year old son complains when he is behind me and I have the seat all the way back. I thought with 290 hp the car would take off like a rocket ship but I don't feel like it does.

Overall review:
It's a nice car and based on first 1000 miles I would recommend it but shop around and look at and drive other cars first. I think it is definitely the best car in its class. I really wish Ford would step up to the plate with a better warranty. I bought the extended 6 yr/60k for about $1250 and would recommend that to anybody buying any Ford. Obviously Ford doesnt think their cars will perform well after 3 yr/36k miles so why should I think any different.